Physical Education Teacher Education Program
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for teachers will vary from good to excellent between now and 2012 depending on locality, grade taught, and subject matter. Texas has shortages in all areas. The types and number of positions available vary across the state.
How to Become a Teacher/Coach in Texas
You must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- You must complete teacher training through an approved program.
- You must successfully complete the appropriate teacher certification tests for the subject and grade level you wish to teach.
- The mission of the Exercise and Sport Science All Level Teacher Certification program is to prepare students as successful teachers of physical education for all-grade (K-12) licensing in Texas.
- Through their training in this program, our graduates will make a valuable contribution to society by promoting healthy lifestyles and vigorous physical activity through school-based physical education programs.
- In addition to completing a set of core introductory courses with a science emphasis, students enroll in classes that focus on instructional strategies, elementary curriculum, secondary curriculum, assessment in physical education, teaching methods, adapted physical education, and field experiences.
- A second teaching area is recommended in a minor or endorsement content area.