The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is proud to sponsor Windhover: A Journal of Christian Literature. The journal is dedicated to promoting poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction that considers Christian perspectives and engages spiritual themes. Each spring the journal hosts a writers’ festival, inviting their published authors and interested readers to come to campus for a weekend of workshops and presentations on the connection between faith and the arts.
The most recent issue of the Windhover may be purchased for $10.00, and back issues may be purchased for $5.00. Please make checks payable to "Windhover" and mail requests to the address below.
The editorial team considers unsolicited submissions of poetry, short fiction, non-fiction, and creative nonfiction received between February 1 and August 1 via our online submissions manager.
Simultaneous submissions are acceptable provided that you let us know that your work has been accepted elsewhere. (Please contact us via email and withdraw your submission from our online submission manager.)
When submitting your work, please follow these specifications:
- Send one prose piece or no more than five poems submitted in one document. (Works longer than 4,000 words are not ordinarily considered.)
- Include a brief cover letter with your name, address, email, the title of your submission(s), and a 2-4 sentence bio written in third-person.
- Include your name and email address on each page of your submission(s).
- All works for consideration must be submitted via our online submission manager. (See link below.)
- We do not consider previously published work.
- We do not consider e-mailed or postal submissions.
From the editor: “We are looking for writing that avoids the didactic, the melodramatic, the trite, the obvious. Eschew tricks and gimmicks. We want writing that invites rereading.”
We also consider book reviews for publication on the Windhover blog. Please read past reviews to obtain a better sense of our tastes. We consider book reviews year round.
Mailing Address (for correspondence and orders only—no submissions):
Dr. Nathaniel Hansen, Editor
UMHB Box 8008
900 College Street
Belton, TX 76513