College of Education

Frequently Asked Questions

After being accepted to UMHB, do I need to apply to the College of Education?

Once you enroll in EDUC 3320 or EDUC 3315, you will make a formal application to begin the process of being admitted to the Department of Education.

As a prospective student, may I visit a class?

Absolutely!  We enjoy having prospective students visit education classes. You need to contact the education secretary, (254) 295-4572, to make arrangements to visit the classes.

Will someone help me decide what classes to take in the College of Education?

Yes, your advisor will be a member of the Department of Education. The advisor will work with you until you complete your degree.

Can I apply for any departmental scholarships?

Yes, you can apply for departmental scholarships providing you meet the qualification for the scholarship. The department of education has four scholarships: Thelma Wright Jenkins Presidential Endowed Scholarship, Goad/Leigh Endowed Scholarship, Dr. Conrad and Clara Lux Endowed Scholarship, and Bernie Tyson Miles Endowed Scholarship.

What is your average class size?

The average class size is twenty-five students (25).

Will I have an internship requirement for the College of Education?

Yes, many of the education classes are field based and you will be required to complete a semester of student teaching.

What departmental organizations or honor societies can I be a part of in the College of Education?

There are four departmental organizations available for the education student: Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE), Kappa Delta Pi (KDP),Texas Classroom Teachers Association (TCTA), and Texas State Teachers Association (TSTA).

Will I be taught by any teaching assistants?

No; however, from time to time there may be a need for an adjunct professor to teach an education class. Also students completing a teaching internship or student teaching will be supervised by university supervisors who are not full time faculty members in the Education Department.