Opportunities for UMHB Chemistry majors are available in the industrial, governmental, military, and academic sectors. You can work in a lab or a library, be part of a research team discovering a new pharmaceutical, or "change the world" while teaching chemistry in a high school, where sign-on bonuses are possible due to a critical shortage of qualified high school chemistry teachers! Below are some of the many employment opportunities in Chemistry.
- Volunteer work at Scott & White Hospital and Clinic Cyto-Genetics Lab
- Lab Studies at the United States Department of Agriculture Grassland, Soil and Water Research Lab, Temple, Texas. “The Effect of Rainwater Composition on Soluble Phosphorus Runoff” and other research.
They pay you to go and you can become a Ph.D.!! Chemistry is one of the few fields that pays students to pursue graduate degrees. In other words, while you are adding to your credentials and improving your hireability, you are getting a Ph.D. - or a Master's - in Chemistry - and a salary and health benefits - and research experience! (There's more research and less classroom work in graduate school).
Chemistry High School Teaching
Just to name a few advantages:
- Student loans are forgiven!
- Regular education courses are great, but not required - you can obtain an alternative certification
- Summer vacation!
- Salary of $50,000 or more with sign-on bonus in some areas
- Solve environmental problems
- Solve medical problems - develop new pharmaceuticals
- Develop new products for home and leisure
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Forensic Studies (Solve crimes with Chemistry!); Texas Department of Public Safety
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ); Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)
- NASA (Space Program)
- Medical School
- Dental School
- Pharmacy School
- Clinical Lab Science
- Optometry School
- Physician's Assistant School
Positions can focus on teaching and/or research in Forensic Science, Biochemistry, or Environmental Chemistry - just to name a few of many possibilities!