The UMHB Department of Biology stimulates students to attain scholarly excellence in the life sciences, within a Christian context, to prepare majors for career success in their chosen field and to provide non-majors with a foundation in biological principles. Our goals are to prepare students for career success and leadership in the life sciences, to strengthen the abilities of students to engage in critical thinking through the process of scientific investigation, and to prepare students to apply faith-based discernment in contemporary social and ethical issues related to Biology.
The Learning Outcomes for students graduating from our program include the following:
- Biology majors demonstrate a command of the general principles in the various subdisciplines in Biology and the ability to apply those principles in critically thinking through problems to reach a solution.
- Biology majors are able to use scientific reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method to develop a testable hypothesis, test the hypothesis, acquire data and evaluate it using statistics, and accept or reject the hypothesis.
- Biology majors demonstrate competency in basic laboratory skills and safety.
- Biology majors can work effectively and efficiently as a part of a team.
- Biology majors can organize and clearly communicate scientific ideas orally and in writing; they should be able to locate scholarly information from the scientific literature and, using an appropriate style, to document their sources of information.
- Biology majors demonstrate an ability to interpret and critically evaluate primary research articles containing tables, graphs, and other data formats.