The UMHB Department of Biology stimulates students to attain scholarly excellence in the life sciences, within a Christian context, to prepare majors for career success in their chosen field and to provide non-majors with a foundation in biological principles. Our goals are 1) to prepare students for career success and leadership in the life sciences; 2) to strengthen the abilities of students to engage in critical thinking through the process of scientific investigation; and 3) to prepare students to apply faith-based discernment in contemporary social and ethical issues related to Biology.
- Bachelor of Science
The Learning Outcomes for students graduating from our program include the following:
- Biology majors demonstrate a command of the general principles in the various subdisciplines in Biology and the ability to apply those principles in critically thinking through problems to reach a solution.
- Biology majors are able to use scientific reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method to develop a testable hypothesis, test the hypothesis, acquire data and evaluate it using statistics, and accept or reject the hypothesis.
- Biology majors demonstrate competency in basic laboratory skills and safety.
- Biology majors can work effectively and efficiently as a part of a team.
- Biology majors can organize and clearly communicate scientific ideas orally and in writing; they should be able to locate scholarly information from the scientific literature and, using an appropriate style, to document their sources of information.
- Biology majors demonstrate an ability to interpret and critically evaluate primary research articles containing tables, graphs, and other data formats.
- Biology majors are able to evaluate and discuss contemporary social and ethical issues related to biology.